Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Truly Inspiring Story

Yesterday if you had a chance to watch the Today show, you may have seen the truly inspiring story of the Twietmeyer family and their special interest in adopting kids with hiv.

Since their adoptions of 6 children from Ethiopia, 2 with hiv, they have launched a non profit organization called Project Hopeful and now come along side other families through their adoptions of children with hiv.

I watched this segment on the Today show and was so moved by their story that I cried.

This is not the first time the Twietmeyer's have made national news with their story. They have been in People magazine and interviewed on other larger networks as well.

This time, Jenna Bush has conducted the interview and she is just as passionate about educating others on hiv as the Twietmeyer family. I'm excited for the Twietmeyers to have an advocate like Jenna to come along side them.

Check out the news segment here!

I didn't know much about Project Hopeful until just recently. I have a friend who lives in Haiti and just put money down on a home which she will use to care for up to 7 children with hiv. God has placed on her heart to educate the Haitian people and to lower the stigma that surrounds this chronic disease. When I learned about her plans to advocate for orphans in this way, I told another friend, Andrea about her not even remembering that Andrea works with Project Hopeful.

Well, Project Hopeful was looking for someone like my friend Rhyan to be their main contact in Haiti. It was a perfect match. They are truly meant to be partners in this endeavor.

Please visit Rhyan's blog and consider helping her out. The sooner she can raise the money, the sooner she can fill her new home with beautiful children and provide them with hope for a brighter future.

As Jenna stated in the Today show interview, hiv is not a death sentence. It is a chronic disease that can be controlled with medication, just like other chronic diseases like diabetes. I think most people don't realize this. Just a couple years ago, I myself had misconceptions about this disease. And I'm still learning.

No comments: