Friday, February 11, 2011

On turning 4!




We celebrate Samson's Four years of life Today! And his 1 1/2 years of being part of our family!

I don't think I can say enough about what he has done for my life. Through building our relationship, He has taught me patience, forgiveness, endurance and unconditional love. Because of Samson, I am a better person today. Because of Samson, I have seen God at work and felt His presence in my life more than ever.



Some things I have learned about my little Prince:

  • He is persistent determined.
  • He is Smart!
  • He has a beautiful singing voice.
  • His favorite thing to do is have mommy read to him.
  • His favorite color is red.
  • His favorite movie is CARS.
  • He loves kicking, throwing and hitting balls.
  • He thinks he is stronger and faster than both Steve and I. We let him think so to boost his confidence.
  • He is in gymnastic and Kinder Music with mom.
  • He is 40" tall and weighs 40 pounds.
He is in preschool and is the very youngest by several months. While he is just turning 4, most of the kids in his preschool class are turning 5. The teacher tried dissuading us from sending him but he has more than surprised her with his maturity.

One day he came home with a drawing given to him from a little girl in his class. We teased him and asked if this was his girlfriend.

He said, "No, this is not my girl friend. She is just a girl and we are friends." We were amazed that he even knew the difference!

Still, our girls like to tease him once in a while about this girl or that girl. One day, it must have gotten to be too much for him, however because he began to blush and he asked them to stop because he was feeling kind of "ticklish." That was the best way he could explain his feelings at the moment.

Speaking of being ticklish, we like to tickle him and he loves to be tickled! He also makes us laugh a lot.

When Samson first came home, he would not leave my side. He even stood outside the shower as I showered and always had to have one hand in the shower to make sure I was in there. Now, he still is near by when I shower and many times is waiting for me with a towel.
There are many times he simply makes me smile and proud to be his momma. Like at his preschool program this evening, they were singing a song that said, "I love you" at the end and he pointed right at me.

Or each morning, I hear him skidding down the steps on his bumper at a frightening speed, landing on the floor with a big thud, jumping up, running to me and throwing his arms around me. What makes me smile most about this is that he saves his first hug of the day for me.



The other day, we were driving somewhere in the car and I asked him, rhetorically, "Samson, how is it that I got so lucky to have you as my son?"

Quite matter of fact, he said, "I don't know. You just got lucky I guess."

This conversation led into him saying this: "Mommy, I know whose tummy I came out of."
Me: "Oh yeah? Whose?"
Samson: "I came out of my Ethiopian mommy's tummy."
Me:  "Yeah, you're right!"
Me: "What do you remember most about Ethiopia"
Samson: "I remember being in  my mommy's tummy and oh boy was that fun."
Me: Hmm

Me: "Do you miss Ethiopia?"
Samson: "Yes, I do."
Me: "Does that make you sad?"

Samson thought for a while and then said something really profound and really beyond his years of maturity.
He said, "No I'm not sad because I know that if I was still in Ethiopia I would be happy. But I'm with you now and I'm happy here too."

At the young age of four, he shows so much courage and strength than a four year old should be expected to show. In the midst of all his pain and confusion, he seems to have found happiness.

Happy Birthday Samson!!
May your life continue to overflow with the blessing of Happiness!

5 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

Oh My Goodness Gracious Preciousness!! I had no idea our guys were so close in age. T turns four in April and he too is, 40' 40lbs! (I think 20 of it is his noggin, truth be told.)

Unknown said...

You are an amazing little boy Samson - with an amazing mommy. We love you both. Happy Birthday!

Andrea said...

Amazing little man! :) Happy Birthday Handsome!

Nikki said...

What an amazing young boy you have...I only hope that someday our son/daughter is as bright, happy, and fun loving as Samson is! Happy birthday Samson!

Adventures of Antone said...

Happy Birthday to a very sweet boy with a very special family. Love to all!